Halloween is a fun and exciting holiday for young children. They get to stay out late and roam the streets collecting loads of candy. However, Halloween is one of the most dangerous and deadly nights of the year as many pedestrian auto accidents occur. The dark costumes make it problematic for drivers to see trick-or-treaters crossing the road. Children are at a high risk of being involved in an accident that could cause serious injury or death. Drivers and pedestrians need to be aware of their surroundings. It is easy for your attention to be diverted when having fun roaming the streets collecting candy, but trick-or-treaters need to also be aware of their surroundings to ensure their safety. Fortunately, if you follow Halloween safety tips, drivers and trick-or-treaters can help you ensure your children stay safe this Halloween. Don’t hesitate to reach out to an experienced Westchester County Pedestrian Accident Lawyer who can help you protect your children on Halloween night.
WHAT ARE SOME HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS FOR DRIVERS?
Halloween safety tips for drivers include:
- Be alert
- Scan the road for pedestrians
- Drivers should look out for children walking on roadways, medians, and curbs
- Be careful making sharp turns
- To enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully
- Do not drive distracted
- Use your headlights
- Slow down in residential areas
- Always yield to pedestrians (trick-or-treaters)
- Do not drive recklessly
- Never assume that children see you
Drivers’ attention always needs to be on the road to ensure safety. Drivers must remain vigilant and keep an eye out for costumed children darting onto the road.
WHAT ARE SOME HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS FOR TRICK-OR-TREATERS?
Halloween safety tips for trick-or-treaters include:
- Don’t trick-or-treat alone
- Stay on sidewalks
- Avoid using your phone while crossing the street
- Look both ways before crossing the street
- Don’t cross between parked cars
- Walk, don’t run from house to house
- Don’t assume pedestrians have the right away
- Increase visibility (choose costumes that have some reflective elements or are lighter colors)
- Avoid flammable costumes
- Use crosswalks when possible
- Try to go trick-or-treating before it gets too dark
Trick-or-treaters need to follow Halloween safety tips to ensure there are no accidents or injuries on such a fun night. Parents need to educate their children on how to safely walk from house to house this Halloween. Drivers need to be aware of costumed children roaming the streets. If drivers and trick-or-treaters follow these simple Halloween safety tips, they can avoid any accidents or injuries. If you want to make sure your children stay safe this Halloween, contact a knowledgeable Westchester County Personal Injury Attorney who can educate you on how to stay safe this Halloween.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Baez Legal Group handles a wide array of injury claims, including those sustained in auto accidents, slip & falls, and more. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
“Jose is one of the most compassionate, trustworthy and brilliant lawyers in NYC! He really cares about your well-being and goes above and beyond to make sure you're well represented. He is always available and responsive whenever you need him. I've recommended him to close friends who were absolutely thrilled to work with him!”