Auto accidents can happen at any time and place due to negligence, but the chances of getting involved are higher during traffic congestion. Traffic congestion is hazardous because drivers tend to make risky decisions and drive more aggressively. As such, drivers must stay alert and calm while stuck in heavy traffic to prevent collisions. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident due to another driver’s negligence, contact a trusted New York City & Westchester County Car Accident Lawyer who can inform you of your options to seek monetary compensation for your damages.
WHAT ARE COMMON ACCIDENTS THAT OCCUR DUE TO TRAFFIC CONGESTION IN NEW YORK?
Traffic congestion can cause drivers to engage in dangerous driving behaviors they usually wouldn’t, leading to devastating accidents. The most traffic congestion-related accidents include but are not limited to the following:
- Distracted driving accidents. Unfortunately, while stuck in traffic, many drivers seize the opportunity to take out their phones to text, call, and browse through social media. Some drivers even eat food or put on makeup while commuting. However, these actions divert drivers’ attention away from the road, increasing the risk of a collision. Drivers must stay alert to prevent accidents and injuries.
- U-turn accidents. During heavy traffic, drivers often become impatient and may resort to making U-turns, whether legal or illegal, to find a quicker alternative route to their destination. However, this can increase the risk of accidents, especially at intersections, as they may not have thoroughly asses the road for oncoming traffic. This can result in being T-boned or sideswiped by a vehicle in the next lane.
- Road rage accidents. One of the most common accidents to occur during traffic congestion is road rage accidents. Frustration can run high while stuck in traffic, causing drivers to operate their vehicles more aggressively and take more risks than usual. Drivers who have become too impatient may engage in aggressive behaviors such as tailgating, running red lights, speeding, and dodging in and out of traffic. If you see another driver being aggressive, do not try to intervene. Let them pass and do not engage, as it will only worsen matters and increase the chances of a collision.
- Head on-collisions. In some cases, drivers may become impatient during traffic jams and decide to use the opposite lane to avoid delays. They may even use the designated emergency vehicles during traffic congestion. But this risky move can backfire if oncoming traffic blocks off the road before they can merge back into heavy traffic. This can lead to a head-on collision, resulting in catastrophic injuries.
- Pile-up accident. During traffic jams, there is usually minimal space between vehicles. This means that drivers will need to allow for extra time to avoid colliding with the car in front of them. They risk driving into them if they do not maintain a safe distance between their vehicle and the one in front of them. This can cause multiple cars to collide with each other.
As you can see, traffic congestion can increase the likelihood of a car accident. As such, drivers must stay wary and avoid engaging in dangerous driving behaviors to prevent collisions.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, contact our skilled lawyers from The Bàez Legal Group, who can help you fight to attain the just compensation you deserve.
“Jose is one of the most compassionate, trustworthy and brilliant lawyers in NYC! He really cares about your well-being and goes above and beyond to make sure you're well represented. He is always available and responsive whenever you need him. I've recommended him to close friends who were absolutely thrilled to work with him!”